Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Hidden Away - Jennie Marts


Secrets have a way of revealing themselves….
Right after a fire breaks out in her diner, a phone call changes Cherry Hill's life. The tragic death of her cousin leaves Cherry sole guardian of her eight-year-old nephew. But the upper crust side of the Hill family deems her unfit and is determined to take Sam away from her. The only one on her side is the sexy sheriff, Taylor Johnson, the man who broke her heart nine years ago when he left town.
Taylor Johnson has sworn to protect the citizens of Broken Falls, but should that extend to a fake engagement to the woman who captured his heart so long ago? It doesn't take long for his pretend feelings to turn real for both Cherry and her adorable nephew, Sam.
But Cherry's been hiding a secret from Taylor that could rip this new family apart…

What inspired you to write your first book?
I turned forty and did this look back at my life, counting my blessings and thinking about what I still wanted to accomplish. I had always wanted to write a book and I just knew it was time to start following my dream. I joined writers groups, took classes and workshops, and started writing! It's been a ton of hard work and full of joy and tears-but it's also been an amazing journey in which I have seen my dreams come true and have met some of the most amazing people. 

Do you have a favorite location/comfy spot to write?
Yes- in ‘my’ chair. After twenty years and raising two boys with the same living room set, we bought a new sofa set this year and it has these big comfy reclining chairs. Most days you will find me in my chair with my computer on a desk on my lap and my big Golden Retriever, Cooper curled against my side.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Oh- that’s easy- the hardest part of writing any book is actually writing the book. You can spend hours thinking about the story and plotting the story and coming up with soundtracks for the story- but the hard part is sticking your butt in the chair and shutting down Facebook and blocking out all the distractions and actually typing up all the words. Writing a book takes a long time. And a lot of hours of writing, and rewriting, and editing and proof-reading. It’s still fun and I really enjoy it- but the writing the book is the hardest, and the best, part.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?
Because I grew up in a small town and we also lived in a small town of Montana, I definitely draw on those experiences, and real townspeople and stores have found their way into my stories. Sometimes I will put in fun details like the dress shop in Broken Falls is called The Ladybug Dress Shoppe after a shop my mom and my grandmother had when I was I was little. I think if you are from a small town, you can’t help but draw on those details like suppers in the church basement and ‘salads’ made up a three ingredients and one of them is Cool Whip.

I loved Cherry, Taylor and Sam if there’s another story in the series will they pop back up?
Yes, I’m sure. Just like Zack, Cash, and Charlie from Tucked Away showed up in this one.
Stolen Away is the third book in the Hearts of Montana series. It comes out next fall and it features the hot bad boy charmer ranch hand, Cash. I love to bring in the other characters from the first books and I already have plans for how both Cherry and Taylor, and Charlie and Zack, will play parts in the book.

What hobbies do you do in your spare time? 
I LOVE to play Volleyball! I play on a summer league and just love it. Of course I love to read and much to the chagrin of my family, I adore playing board games. I like to take my dogs for walks. I love to swim (and by swim--I mean lay out at the pool with a good book and get in the water sometimes). And I really enjoy hanging out with my family and I LOVE going to the movies. Don't know if those are hobbies, but that's what I do in my spare time. :)

Quick and Fast
Coffee or tea?  Coffee in the morning- Iced Tea in the afternoon

Cookie’s or brownies? Cookies

Pepsi or Coke?  Major addiction to Diet Coke

Night or day Person?  Night owl

Cherry runs the local diner and she's just a normal hard working gal in a small town.  After one crisis at the diner she discovers her cousin died in a car accident and she's been named guardian of her eight year old nephew.  On top of everything her high school sweetheart, Taylor, has moved back and thrown her whole life for a loop. Taylor moved back hoping for a second chance with Cherry. I love Cherry and Taylor together, their connection was undeniable.  As they reignite their flame their relationship is tested with secrets from the past.  Taylor is amazingly loyal especially when Cherry's family works their tails off trying to prove her an unfit guardian.  I seriously found myself cringing and wanting to skip the parts with Cherry's family show up in the story. I was left with questions as to why her cousin was so determined she not get custody other than ego and being a bully.  
If you're looking for a good romance with a bit of suspense this would be a great story to check out.
I give Hidden Away...

.5
4.5 Baskets!!!

Jennie Marts loves to make readers laugh as she weaves stories filled with love, friendship and intrigue. She writes for Entangled Publishing and reviewers call her books “laugh out loud” funny and full of great characters that are “endearing and relatable.”
She is living her own happily ever after in the mountains of Colorado with her husband, two sons, two dogs and a parakeet that loves to tweet to the oldies. She’s addicted to Diet Coke, adores Cheetos and believes you can’t have too many books, shoes or friends.
Her books include the contemporary western romance Hearts of Montana series, the romantic comedy/ cozy mysteries of The Page Turners series, and her latest hot hockey players series, the Bannister Brothers Books.
Jennie loves to hear from readers. Follow her on Facebook at Jennie Marts Books , or Twitter at @JennieMarts. Visit her at www.jenniemarts.com .


1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for hosting me on your blog, Tobi! And for the great review! The interview was fun--I loved all the questions! :)

    ReplyDelete