Friday, September 8, 2017

October Winds - Katie Mettner








October Halloran left her past behind and found happiness in a tiny northern Minnesota town working at a local truck stop. At least she was happy, until Sheriff Jett Raven started asking questions she didn’t want to answer.

Jett didn't buy the story ‘Sarah Banks’ sold the rest of the community. Smitten since the moment he first laid eyes on her, he knew she wasn't who she claimed to be. It wasn't until she stumbled across a dead body that he had a reason to dig into her past, and bring her into his home.


Murdered truckers and attempted kidnappings lead October and Jett to the startling truth. With dozens of girls’ lives on the line, it’s up to October to discover who’s after her and why. It’s up to Jett to keep her alive.


The marshmallows had been roasted and the hot dogs consumed. I sat back, my belly full and my heart happy after such a splurge. I poked at the fire with my fire stick and watched the golden sparks of light fly into the sky before they disappeared in a puff of smoke. The wind kept getting colder every time it blew and I worked hard not to let my teeth clank together in a shiver. I didn’t want Jett to see me cold and think he had to rescue me.

“Thanks for dinner. It means a lot to me you’d take time out of your own day to come out here in the middle of nowhere,” I said, moving to the log he sat on. I held my comforter out and he gladly wrapped it around his shoulder to block the wind.

“No thanks necessary, October. You don’t mind if I call you by your real name when we’re alone, do you?” he asked and I shrugged one shoulder.

“I hate to admit how much I like hearing it again.”

“I promise never to call you October in public, but privately, it’s how I think of you. I think about you all the time and wonder if you’re okay. You’re brave being out here all alone. Sometimes, for my own peace of mind, I have to come see if you’re safe.”

He thinks about me all the time? No one has ever said those words to me before. Me, the homeless girl in the woods, is someone he bothers to worry about?

“I’m twenty-four-years-old and up until tonight, no one has ever worried about me before.”

He put his arm around my shoulder and grabbed my edge of the comforter. “No one might be an exaggeration. What about your parents?”

I groaned with sarcasm. “My parents are dead.”

“I’m sorry,” he answered as though it was expected. “I would love to hear how you arrived in Zansaville, and these woods.”

Sitting there with him I realized how bone-weary I was. I haven’t had time to think about what happened or why, because I’ve been too busy trying to survive. I gazed up at him from under the blanket. “Would it be okay if I laid my head on your shoulder? It feels good to have contact with another human being after so many months alone.”

Especially a strong, handsome, caring human being, I added to myself.

He drew me closer to his side and wrapped the blanket around us tighter. “I would be honored to be the first one then,” he whispered.

I laid my head half on his shoulder, half on his chest and sighed. He smelled like aftershave, horse, and firewood. It wasn’t an unpleasant combination and I was glad I had a shower today. At least I didn’t smell like someone who lived in the woods. I noticed his earring when I glanced up. What I remembered as a horseshoe was actually a feather with turquoise beads. It was subtle, manly, and incredibly sexy.


October has a twisted past and she's living under the radar until Jett, the local sheriff figures out her secret past.  For both the attraction is instantaneous but Jett knows October is like a skittish foal.  Jett has the patience of a saint. He's one leading male you could ride off into the sunset with. October is broken, but has a heart the size of Texas. 
October Winds is a story that is unique, fast paced and a perfect mix of romance and suspense. If you enjoy an amazing story that is a well written who dunnit romance filled with healing and faith then I highly recommend October Winds.





Katie Mettner writes inspirational and romantic suspense from a little house in the Northwoods of Wisconsin. She's the author of the four part epic family saga, The Sugar Series, Sugar's Song being runner up for sweet romance in the eFestival of Words contest. Her other romance series, The
Northern Lights Series, The Snowberry Holiday Series, Kupid's Cove Series, and The Magnificent Series are all set in the Midwest. If you love romance and romantic suspense, her books are for you.


Read about more of Katie's adventures as an amputee writer at KatieMettner.com
Follow Katie on Amazon
Follow Katie on Twitter
Come chat with Katie on Facebook
Are you a Pinner? Pin with Katie at Sugarsballroom

Katie lives with her soulmate, whom she met online at Thanksgiving and married in April. Together they share their lives with their three children and two leopard geckos. After suffering an especially bad spill on the bunny hill in 1989, Katie became an amputee in 2011, giving her the much needed time to pen her first novel, Sugar's Dance. With the release of Sugar's story, Katie discovered the unfilled need for disabled heroes and heroines! Her stories are about empowering people with special circumstances to find the one person who will love them because of their abilities, not their inabilities. Katie has a slight addiction to Twitter and blogging, with a lessening aversion to Pinterest now that she quit trying to make the things she pinned.

1 comment: