Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Letter - Sandra Owens

5
Title: The Letter
Author: Sandra Owens
Genre: Historical Romance/Regency
Heat Level: Spicy
Number of Pages: 366
Publisher: Wild Rose PressTitle: The Letter
 
Blurb:
THE LETTER is the story of a betrayal that wasn’t. Even so, it still tore apart two lovers for eleven years.

On the eve of their wedding, Michael Jeffres, Earl of Daventry, found his betrothed— the woman who meant as much to him as the air he breathed—in bed with his cousin, Leo. Diana remembers nothing of that night. All she knows is that she was forced to marry Leo and then spent the next eleven years in hell.

When the two lovers are brought back together by a letter from Leo a year after his death, Michael and Diana must struggle through all the lies and secrets before they can find a love that far surpasses the one of their youth.



Forget The Housework, I’m Reading

Oh, how I love that…Forget the housework, I’m reading. I think I’ll adopt it as my motto. My favorite genre to read is historical romance, especially the Regency era. The first three books I wrote were Regencies, two of them, THE LETTER and THE TRAINING OF A MARQUESS, now published. There is just something about that time in history that fascinates me. Take a trip with me back in time.

Close your eyes and imagine you are dressed in a beautiful gown, your hair artfully styled, chandeliers filled with candles softly lighting the ballroom. You are tapping the toe of one of your dancing slippers, longing to be invited to dance by a handsome gentleman. You are a mere miss, a nobody, so you don’t expect a man of title to notice you, but surely there is a mister someone or other who would be willing to share one dance with you.

You’ve almost given up hope and the embarrassment of being ignored is too much so you decide to slip behind the potted plant and hide. Just then, you catch the eyes of a tall, gorgeous man across the room. It is the same duke you’ve seen all the ladies sigh over, a man the marriage-minded mamas have been trying to catch for their daughters for years. Of course, he isn’t looking at you!

Ah, but he is. Holding your gaze, he prowls his way across the floor, stops in front of you and bows. Just as he says, “May I have the honor of a dance?” you hear the beginnings of a waltz. Thus the fairytale begins and culminates in a happily ever after for you and your duke.

Sadly, that scenario would have been a rarity, if it even happened at all. Dukes married the daughters of peers, and usually not for love. They married for gain, to strengthen their families, for political power and the like. A mere miss would have nothing to offer.

I would have to say that my books have a darker element, especially THE LETTER. I am drawn to tortured heroes and heroines. I want them to be lost and hurting, believing they will not find true happiness. Then I want good things to start happening to them. I write romance because I love that happily ever after that is a must.

In THE LETTER, the heroine, Diana, is probably my most tortured character of all my stories. Hers is a tale of love lost and then found, a story of lies and secrets, and finally one of hope and forgiveness. Because the beginning of the book was so dark, I wanted humor in the second half…a difficult thing to pull off. Fortunately, my hero, Michael, took over, his antics surprising even me. Here is a short example of Michael being Michael.

A yawn and a stretch, and he lazily pushed up in his seat. “Sorry, did you say something?”
“You sounded as if you were snarling. Why?”
He made a show of stretching the cricks out of his neck. “I must have been dreaming of when I was a wolf.”
She stared at him as if he had lost his mind. “I beg your pardon?”
“Didn’t I ever tell you? I’m certain I must have.” He grinned like he thought a wolf might. “Listen. In my other life, the one before this, I was a ferocious, furry
beast. In my dreams, I sometimes relive those days when I was king of the woods. I think the thing I miss most is having a tail.” He looked off into the distance,
considering. “Well, that and howling at the moon.”
“You’ve gone mad,” she said, but her lips twitched.
“Never say so!” He put his hand over his heart. “You wound me, Diana. I have just shared my most secret of secrets and you doubt me?”
She burst into laughter.
The sound of it was a melodious symphony to his ears. “You dare laugh at the beast?” He growled and attacked. Moving to the seat next to her, he wrapped his arms around her and nipped at her neck with his teeth.
Her body shook with hilarity as she tried to swat him away.
God in heaven, he hadn’t played like this since…since her. He put his mouth next to her ear and rumbled into it. “Beware. The wolf has you now and you are mighty tasty. I fear he is going to gobble you up.”
She laughed so hard, she gasped for breath. “Michael, stop it.”
He lifted away to see if he was scaring her. No, she was biting on her bottom lip in an obvious attempt to control her merriment. Not wanting to take the fun too far and have it turn sour, he slipped back to his seat.
Her gaze lifted to his, her lips still quivering. “I’m trying to picture you with a tail.”
Michael quirked a brow at the woman who was starting to seem like the girl he once knew. “It was a very lovely, bushy tail, I’ll have you know.”

Thank you so much for inviting me here today. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sandra Owens



First thoughts after....
An interesting Regency Romance.

How distracted did I get??
The letter is a very different regency romance that was slow to begin and took off midway.  The story is a different take on the regency era. It's very easy to get wrapped up in Diana and Michaels world.  Little Jamie will win your heart.  This is a good book for those who enjoy regency romances.


I give The Letter.......
.


3.5 baskets!



Author Bio:
Sandra lives in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. Most days, you can find her with her fingers on a keyboard, her mind in the world of her imagination. It's a land where romance and happy endings exist, a land where anything is possible.
When her husband can drag her away from her computer, she likes to travel with her very own hero in their RV, but she always brings her laptop. There are still stories to write, after all.
A few highlights of Sandra's life she fondly recalls are jumping out of a plane, flying upside down in a stunt plane, and riding her Harley in the mountains of Southern California and along the coast of Maine. She's managed a private airport and held the position of General Manager of a Harley-Davidson dealership.
Although those events in her life were great fun, nothing compares to the joy and satisfaction she gets from writing her stories.


Buy Links:   Amazon
Where to find Sandra:  Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

2 comments: