Thursday, September 18, 2014

Tempting Thursday/Pie Girls - Lauren Clark



Kindle
Nook
Chick Lit
Princess, Southern belle, and spoiled-rotten social climber Searcy Roberts swore on a stack of Bibles she’d never return home to Fairhope, Alabama. After marrying her high school sweetheart and moving to Atlanta, Searcy embraces big-city life—Carrie Bradshaw style.

But now, Searcy has a teeny, tiny problem. Her husband’s had a mid-life crisis. He’s quit his job, cancelled her credit cards, and left her for another man.

Searcy returns to Fairhope, ready to lick her wounds. But when her mother falls ill, she’s is thrust into managing the family business—only to discover the beloved bakery is in danger of closing its doors forever. 

Enlisting the help of the adorable bike store owner next door, an array of well-heeled customers, and her soon-to-be ex-husband, Searcy hatches the plan of the century to save Pie Girls.



Chapter 9

"Are you sure that the baby's mine?"
            I feel faint and the room starts to tilt and swim. "Whatever are you talking about?" I demand, doing my best to sound indignant. "Of course it's ours."
           
Alton turns his body to face mine. "I'm asking, because it's impossible," he explains.
            My lips part. I try to form words. What is he trying to tell me?
            "Searcy," Alton leans closer. " I had a vasectomy. Six months ago.”
            “What?” I squeak. “How? When?”
“You were in California with Phillipa."
            My hands begin to quiver. I brace myself on the sofa.
            Vasectomy?
            Six. Months. Ago.
            I feel sick. I want to throw up. Or launch myself out the window.
            My husband's gaze doesn't waver. He's serious.
            "You see," Alton continues gently. "The baby can't be mine."
            I can't speak or take a breath. All at once, I am furious. How dare he do this to me? Of all of the underhanded, rotten, selfish things to do to a wife. How could he take this away from me? From us?
           
Usually, I’m a calm, rational person. But without another thought, my right hand clenches into a fist. My fingers curl tight and the tips press into my palm. My arm bends at the elbow and I draw my body back, gathering momentum.
            I take aim.
            As my first jets through the air, cutting a path straight for my husband's gorgeous face, everything screams to a slow-motion finish.
            His face registers a mix of doubt, surprise, and then...in the last second...out-right terror.
            I punch Alton square in the mouth.





First thoughts after…

What an awesome story!

How distracted did I get?
Pie Girls is a fun, spunky, Southern Belle filled chick lit!  I was drawn into Searcy's story from the beginning.  I felt for her as she struggled with her new direction in life.  I loved how she takes the bull by the horns and starts her life over.  Tobi, her bff, is the glue that holds the Pie Girls together.  She's funny, sweet and supportive through the story.  Luke, the hottie mctottie next door, daggum…he's a saint, supportive, and amazing man!  He loves dark roast coffee as well, need I say more? Nope, didn't think so!  Haley, what a mean girl.  I blessed her heart all over the place in my head along with a few other choice words.  (Insert sweet smile here)  Pie Girls has an amazing set of secondary characters the tops the story off perfectly!  If you want a laugh, cry, smile this is definitely a book I would recommend!
I give Pie Girls…


5 baskets!



Lauren Clark writes contemporary Southern novels sprinkled with sunshine, suspense, and secrets. A former TV news anchor, Lauren adores flavored coffee, local book stores, and anywhere she can stick her toes in the sand. Her big loves are her family, paying it forward, and true-blue friends.
She is the author of four award-winning novels, Dancing Naked in Dixie, Stay Tuned, Stardust Summer, and Pie Girls, as well as a short story, A Very Dixie Christmas, published in the Merry & Bright holiday collection. Lauren is a member of the Gulf Coast Writers Association and the Mobile Writers Guild. 

Website
Blog
Twitter
@LaurenClark_Bks
Facebook
Pintrest


Amazon Author Page:  Lauren Clark

1 comment:

  1. Tobi - Thank you so much, my sweet friend! I am thrilled that you loved Pie Girls and had fun watching Searcy grow from spoiled Southern belle to self-respecting and sweet daughter and friend. Luke was totally yummy, and I couldn't have adored my Tobi character more!!! Hugs, Lauren

    ReplyDelete