Monday, April 14, 2014

Hottie McTottie Monday

Happy Hottie McTottie Monday!
Today I'm featuring Grant from Granted Redemption by +Katie Mettner 
I had a fun interview and now a fun recipe to try!
Check it out!

Tobi: Hello, Grant. I’m happy to welcome to Forget The Housework today!
Grant: G’day, Tobi. Thanks for chatting with me this morning. I was warned by our fellow friend Van to be on the lookout for something called ‘Hottie McTottie’. Should I be worried?
Tobi: *Snicker* I can’t trust anyone with my secrets! Van would be referring to my usual Monday interview with a Hottie McTottie. You know, a hot guy who has all the right moves, muscles galore and romance to boot.
Grant: I see, I see. Yes, in Australia we call a person like that a ‘rig’.
Tobi: A rig?
Grant: Yeah, yeah. Like “Hey mate you see that Sheila? What a rig.”
Tobi: *Laughing* Okay! I can only assume a Sheila is a woman?
Grant: Sure is!
Tobi: I can hardly keep up with all my Hottie’s and their slang. So let’s talk about you. Tell us a little bit about yourself.
Grant: Sure, well obviously I’m from Australia. I left the Down Under and came to the US for college. I got my degree in physical therapy and then did an internship and my masters at Loma Linda University in pediatric therapy. I was a little tired of California though and was looking for a new position when I ran across the one in Duluth. I know it’s a bit of a stretch, but I figured, why not?
Tobi: You weren’t afraid it would be too cold for an Australian Californian?
Grant: Oh yeah. I was scared. Scared I’d freeze to death! The summer was great, very comfortable and the lake is so, so beautiful. The winter on the other hand, well, that took some getting used to.
Tobi: I’ve heard from Sugar the winters can be brutal there in Duluth. How do y’all stay warm up there?
Grant: *Grinning* Under Armour and the warmth of a beautiful woman, in no particular order.
Tobi: *Laughing*  I think I might know what woman you’re speaking of. Is she tall, redheaded and extremely good at making you a Kinky Karmel Kuffs?
Grant: Oh that would be her! Carla is such a fantastic barista.
Tobi: That she is! I would love to come to her café and sample one of everything, but it sounds like you can cook a bit too. I heard you make a mean pumpkin fry. Will you share the recipe?
Grant: I can cook a bit. Growing up and living with the natives I learned how to cook a lot of things. The pumpkin fries are kind of my weakest link. I’d be happy to share the recipe. I’ll email it to you and you can share away?
Tobi: Yes! I can’t wait to try them, they sound so good!
Grant: Really? Most people around here sort of turn up their nose when I say pumpkin and fry together.
Tobi: *Giggles* I’m from the south, we eat some pretty strange things. So we know you’re from Australia and then California and you are a physical therapist with a soft spot for redheads with coffee. What else should we know about you?
Grant: Hmmm, I find it so hard to talk about myself. Let’s see. I used to surf, but after an accident I couldn’t surf anymore, so I started to run. I don’t like running, but it keeps me warm in this crazy town at least.
Tobi: Who likes to run? That’s just silly. You mentioned you used to live with the natives?
Grant: I did! My father was a pastor and my mother a teacher. They worked with the native Aborigines building first a church, then a school and a clinic. I learned cooking the very old school way, but oh man was the food good! Those pumpkin fries are a stable in the diet of Australians, sort of like how Americans eat potatoes.
Tobi: It’s been great getting to know a little bit more about you. Before you go, can you tell my readers what makes you tick? What makes you the Grant Harris before me today?
Grant: *Blows out breath* That’s heavy for this time of the morning. What makes me tick? Helping people.  I get up in the morning knowing I’m going to go to work and make something happen for someone. I’m not trying to sound egotistical or something, I just mean I can go and help someone get back into life. I’ve been in an accident that has required me to learn how to redo all the simple things that we take for granted in life, and I understand on a very basic level the amount of energy and stamina it takes for them just to be able to show up in my department. Sometimes, that’s all we get done for the day, but it’s a start. When I see them months later with their families or out running or biking around the city then I get that feeling of success. For them and for me.
Tobi: That’s great, Grant. It’s always nice to hear someone speak so passionately about what they do. But that’s all professional. What about personally?
Grant: Personally? When I was out in California about as personal as I got was a first date. I wasn’t looking for anything serious. I intended to keep that streak going when I got to Duluth, but that all changed the day I decided to grab a coffee before work. I’m not one to kiss and tell, but I will say that Carla has given me a reason to change my mind about second, third and fourteenth dates.
Tobi: We will leave it at that and my readers can find out the rest of your story in Granted Redemption! Thanks for stopping by and visiting with me this morning. I can’t wait to try the fries!
Grant: Thanks for having me, Tobi. I had a lot of fun and thanks for helping get the word out about my story. You are what we call in Australia, ‘whacko’. Here that’s a bad thing, but in my country it means “Very Cool!”

Grant’s Pumpkin fries with sweet cinnamon butter dip
1 small pumpkin
1 tsp. garlic and herb seasoning (can use your favorite season packets)
½ tsp. salt
1 tbsp. olive oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cut the pumpkins in half, lengthwise, and remove all seeds.
Use a potato peeler to remove pumpkin skins.
Using a very sharp knife, cut pumpkins into 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick strips to resemble french fries
Put olive oil in bag and seasoning mix in bag and drop in fries, shaking to coat. Lay the fries on cookie sheet (sprayed or parchment paper).  Single layer.
Bake for 30 minutes or until pumpkin is soft.
Cinnamon Butter
You can cheat and use the cinnamon butter made by Land O Lakes and available in the dairy department.
Or you can take one stick of butter and melt in microwave. Add cinnamon and sugar mixture to taste.

Don't miss my review of Granted Redemption!
Kindle
Nook

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic interview Tobi and the pumpkin fries sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I had to beg for that recipe! ;) Thanks for stopping by! <3

      Delete
  2. What a recipe! This one I HAVE to try out for myself. Followed by a cup of coffee, of course! Great post, ladies and waves from the UK! Lx

    ReplyDelete